1) How many millilitres of water must be added to 500ml of a 18% w/v stock solution of drug X to prepare a 6% w/v solution?
2) A patient receives an intravenous infusion of drug X at a rate of 5mcg/kg/minute. The patient weighs 90kg. How much drug X would they have received in 2 hours and twenty minutes?
3) A dose of 12mcg/kg/minute of drug X must be infused into a 72kg patient over 12.5hours. What volume of drug X 0.15% w/v infusion is required?
4) An infusion of drug X is administered to a patient weighing 102kg, to deliver 2mcg/kg/min. If the syringe contains 100mg of drug X in 100ml of saline, what should the infusion rate be in millilitres per hour?
5) A patient is on a reducing dose of drug X. They have been prescribed 20mg drug X once daily for one week, reducing by 5mg daily each week until a maintenance dose of 5mg is reached. Drug X is only available in 2.5mg tablets. You are required to supply 56 days worth of treatment. How many tablets will you supply?
6) If drug X has a clearance of 6Litre/hr, how much will be removed from the body in 24 hours if the serum drug concentration is 2mg/L?
7) What weight of drug X is required to produce 300ml of a solution such that, when 4ml of this solution is diluted to 800ml, it gives a 1 in 2000 solution?
8) A patient dissolves four tablets of 200mg of drug X in 250ml of water. What is the concentration (%w/v) the resulting solution?
9) A patient is prescribed a beclomethasone nasal spray that contains 200 doses. They need to use one spray into both nostrils twice daily. How long will the nasal spray last?
10) A liniment contains 10% v/v drug X. How much of drug X is required to make 80ml of the liniment?
11) A dose of 20mcg/kg/minute of drug X must be infused into a 81kg patient over 1 hour. What volume of drug X 0.1% w/v infusion is required?
12) What is the final concentration of a solution if 100ml of 40% w/v solution is added to 325ml of 25% w/v solution?
13) What weight of drug is required to produce 1200ml of a solution such that, when 5ml is diluted to 45ml with water, it gives a 0.03% w/v solution?
14) A prescription requires a patient to take 15mg of drug X three times a day for one week. If drug X is only available as a 5mg/2ml solution, what volume of solution is required for the complete course?
15) A patient has a measured serum drug concentration of 950mcg/L after a 30mg dose of drug X has been systemically absorbed. Calculate the volume of distribution
16) A patient requires an infusion of drug X at a rate of 145mcg/kg/hr over 12 hours. The patient weighs 65kg. If you have an infusion solution of 0.2% w/v drug X, how much of the infusion solution will be required for the full course of treatment?
17) What volume of a 33% w/v solution is needed to produce 170ml of a 3.6% w/v solution?
18) A patient has a serum potassium level of 20mmol/L How many milligrams of potassium are present in a 5ml sample of the patients serum? (atomic mass K = 39)
19) A patient uses 20ml of a 1: 400 solution of antiseptic liquid three times a day for a week. How much drug has been used in total?
20) What weight of miconazole is required to make 20g of a cream containing 2% w/w of the drug?
21) A nurse must administer 250ml of saline to a patient over 4 hours using a paediatric giving set (where 1ml = 60 drops). What should the drop rate be set to, in drops/minute?
22) What is the concentration of drug X in a solution prepared by mixing 200ml of 5% w/v drug X, 50ml of 10% w/v drug X, and 100ml of 15% w/v drug X?
23) You need to make 100g of the following ointment:
Hydrocortisone ointment 15%
White soft paraffin 35%
Liquid paraffin 50%
How much hydrocortisone ointment will be required to make the product?
24) A prescription requires a patient to take 12.5mg of drug X three times daily for 14 days. Drug X is only available as 2.5mg tablets. How many tablets should be dispensed?
25) How much arachis oil is required to make 200ml of an emulsion containing 40% v/v of arachis oil?
26) A dose of 3mcg/kg/minute of drug X must be infused into a 68kg patient over 3 hours. What volume of drug X 0.2% w/v infusion is required?
27) A 10ml ampoule of a 1 in 200, 000 solution of drug X is administered to a patient. How many milligrams of drug X does the patient receive?
28) An infusion of drug X is administered to a patient weighing 28kg, to deliver 140mcg/kg/min. If the syringe contains 250mg of drug X in 100ml of saline, what should the infusion rate be in millilitres per hour?
29) A patient is prescribed a nasal spray that contains 200 doses. They need to use two sprays into both nostrils twice daily. How long will the nasal spray last?
30) An infusion of drug X is administered to a patient weighing 58kg, to deliver 4mcg/kg/min. If the syringe contains 100mg of drug X in 50ml of saline, what should the infusion rate be in millilitres per hour?
31) A patient has a serum potassium level of 15mmol/L How many milligrams of potassium are present in a 10ml sample of the patients serum? (atomic mass K = 39)
32) The recommended dose of drug X is 21mg/kg twice daily for three weeks. What is the total amount of drug that would be received by a child weighing 11kg?
33) What weight of drug X is required to produce 150ml of a solution which, when 1 part is diluted with 3 parts of diluents, results in a 1 in 3000 solution?
34) What volume of a 1 in 45 v/v solution is needed to produce 2.5L of a 1 in 180 v/v solution?
35) 475mg of drug X is dissolved in 60ml of water. What is the concentration of the resulting solution (%w/v)?
36) The concentration of drug X in a solution is 750PPM. What volume of solution would contain 125mg of drug X?
37) A patient, who weighs 80kg, has overdosed with drug X. Their plasma drug X concentration is 60mg/L. If the clearance rate of the drug is 0.22 L/kg/hr, what weight of drug will have been removed from the body after 50 minutes?
38) What volume of a 1:10 000 solution of drug X can be made from 1L of a 2% solution of the drug?
39) How many millilitres of a 4% w/v solution must be used to make 3 litres of a 2% w/v solution?
40) A dose of 5mcg/kg/minute of drug X must be infused into a 65kg patient over 3.5 hours. What volume of drug X 0.05% w/v infusion is required?