1) You need to administer an infusion of drug X to a patient who weighs 85kg at a rate of 0.05 units/kg/hr. You have an infusion solution that contains 100 units of drug X in 100ml of saline solution. At what rate (in ml/hr) should you set the pump?
2) A patient who weighs 55kg requires administration of drug X intravenously at a dose of 1mg/kg once daily. Drug X is only available in 100mg vials which are reconstituted to 5ml. What volume of solution does the patient require daily?
3) A dose of 12mcg/kg/hr of drug X must be infused into a 48kg patient over 4.5 hours. What volume of drug X 0.15% w/v infusion is required?
4) A 5ml ampoule of a 1 in 2000 solution of drug X is administered to a patient. How many milligrams of drug X does the patient receive?
5) The concentration of drug X in a solution is 8PPM. What volume of solution would contain 0.650g of drug X?
6) You need to prepare a solution of drug X containing 2mmol/5ml of the drug. What weight of drug X is required to make 180ml of solution? (RMM = 152.1)
7) What weight of drug X is required to produce 150ml of a solution which, when 1 part is diluted with 3 parts of diluents, results in a 0.01% solution?
8) What volume of a 1:2000 solution of drug X can be made from 800ml of a 1.5% solution of the drug?
9) The recommended dose of drug X is 5mg/kg once daily . What dose would you recommend for a child that weighs 25kg?
10) If vitamin oral drops contain 4000units/ml of vitamin A, how many drops will provide a patient with 600units of vitamin A if there are 20 drops/ml?
11) If drug X has a clearance of 1.5Litre/hr, how much will be removed from the body in 18 hours if the serum drug concentration is 1.5mg/L?
12) How many millilitres of water must be added to 200ml of a 15% w/v stock solution of drug X to prepare a 10% w/v solution?
13) A patient, who weighs 60kg, has overdosed with drug X. Their plasma drug X concentration is 50mg/L. If the clearance rate of the drug is 0.12 L/kg/hr, what weight of drug will have been removed from the body after 8 hours?
14) You have 0.6kg of a 9% w/w ointment of drug X. What weight of diluent should be added to reduce the concentration of drug X to 3% w/v?
15) What is the final concentration of a solution if 350ml of 20% w/v solution is added to 50ml of 30% w/v solution?
16) What weight of drug X is required to produce 260ml of a solution which, when 1 part is diluted with 6 parts of diluents, results in a 1 in 4000 solution?
17) What weight of terbinafine is required to make 40g of a cream containing 2% w/w of the drug?
18) What weight of drug X is contained in 2.6L of a 1 in 35 solution of drug X?
19) A patient uses 25ml of a 1: 200 solution of antiseptic liquid twice a day for four weeks. How much drug has been used in total?
20) A patient receives an intravenous infusion of drug X at a rate of 5mcg/kg/minute. The patient weighs 90kg. How much drug X would they have received in 2 hours and twenty minutes?
21) A dose of 2mcg/kg/minute of drug X must be infused into a 70kg patient over 2 hours. What volume of drug X 0.2% w/v infusion is required?
22) A cream contains 250mcg of drug X made up to 5g with cream base. What is the concentration of the resulting cream, in % w/w?
23) A patient has a measured serum drug concentration of 54mg/L after a 1.2g dose of drug X has been systemically absorbed. Calculate the volume of distribution.
24) You need to make 30g of the following ointment:
Miconazole ointment 20%
White soft paraffin 20%
Liquid paraffin 60%
How much miconazole ointment will be required to make the product?
25) What is the BMI of a patient who weighs 75kg and is 151cm tall?
26) A patient receives an intravenous infusion of drug X at a rate of 5mcg/kg/minute. The patient weighs 67kg. How much drug X would they have received in 35 minutes?
27) A patient is on a reducing dose of drug X. They have been prescribed 15mg drug X once daily for one week, reducing by 5mg daily each week until a maintenance dose of 5mg is reached. Drug X is only available in 2.5mg tablets. You are required to supply 28 days worth of treatment. How many tablets will you supply?
28) An infusion of drug X is administered to a patient weighing 55kg, to deliver 2mg/kg/min. If the syringe contains 500mg of drug X in 100ml of saline, what should the infusion rate be in millilitres per hour?
29) How many millilitres of a 70% w/v solution must be used to make 0.2 litres of a 35% w/v solution?
30) A liniment contains 10% v/v drug X. How much of drug X is required to make 80ml of the liniment?
31) The recommended dose of drug X is 21mg/kg twice daily for three weeks. What is the total amount of drug that would be received by a child weighing 11kg?
32) What is the final concentration of a solution if 3500ml of 22% w/v solution is added to 600ml of 32% w/v solution?
33) You have 150g of a 15% w/w ointment of drug X. What weight of diluent should be added to reduce the concentration of drug X to 2.5% w/v?
34) You need to prepare a solution of drug X containing 120mmol/15ml of the drug. What weight of drug X is required to make 500ml of solution? (RMM = 198.4)
35) You need to make 100g of the following ointment:
Hydrocortisone ointment 15%
White soft paraffin 35%
Liquid paraffin 50%
How much hydrocortisone ointment will be required to make the product?
36) A patient is prescribed drug X infusion of 1500 units/hr for 4.5 hours. You are provided with 300 units/ml infusion solution. What volume of this infusion solution should be administered to the patient?
37) What is the BMI of a patient who weighs 52kg and is 140cm tall?
38) A patient has a serum potassium level of 20mmol/L How many milligrams of potassium are present in a 5ml sample of the patients serum? (atomic mass K = 39)
39) A patient is prescribed two Clenil 100mcg CFC-free inhalers that contain 200 doses each. If a patient uses two puffs twice daily how long will the inhalers last until they are both empty?
40) How many millilitres of a 5% w/v solution must be used to make 2 litres of a 0.5% w/v solution?