1) Which one of the following medicines is used to treat pain and inflammation in osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis?
2) A patient has come into your pharmacy with severe tenderness and swelling around the bottom of his big toe. Which of the following medicines is most likely to cause this problem?
3) A patient group directive is a written direction relating to the supply and administration of a licensed POM (or CD in specific circumstances) by certain healthcare professionals
4) Which one of the following drugs is used for the treatment of osteoporosis?
5) The responsible pharmacist notice must include the name and GPhC registration number of the responsible pharmacist. It must also state that the named responsible pharmacist is in charge of the registered pharmacy premises
6) Regarding prescriptions for schedule 2 or 3 controlled drugs, "as directed" is not a legal direction but "one as directed" is a legal direction
7) Muscle pain is a side effect of which one of the following drugs?
8) Which one of the following drugs competitively inhibits HMG CoA reductase, an enzyme which plays a key role in the synthesis of cholesterol in the liver?
9) A patient presents to the pharmacy with cold-like symptoms, sensitivity to light, aches and pains, and small grey-white spots in the mouth and throat. Upon close inspection a red rash can also be seen behind the patients left ear that is running down their neck. What is the most likely diagnosis?
10) FP10PCD prescriptions must include the prescribers identification number which is different to their GMC number
11) Which of the following drugs can increase risk of developing gout?
A. If 1, 2, and 3 are correct
B. If 1 and 2 only are correct
C. If 2 and 3 only are correct
D. If 1 only is correct
E. If 3 only is correct
12) It is recommended that diabetic patients maintain their blood-glucose concentration under 5 mmol/L
13) Which of the following is/are true regarding dyspepsia?
1. Symptoms can be reduced by eating larger portion sizes less frequently
2. If lifestyle intervention alone is insufficient, antacids are a good treatment option
3. Symptoms include bloating, abdominal pain and belching/flatulence
14) Which one of the following drugs can is used to treat Alzheimer's disease?
15) A patient should be referred to their GP if a mouth ulcer persists for longer than how long?
16) A diabetic patient who takes insulin must inform the DVLA of their condition
17) For schedule 2 or 3 controlled drugs, if the quantity on the prescription is only written in words, the pharmacist may add the quantity in figures.
18) HDL cholesterol is often referred to as "good cholesterol"
19) Which one of the following drugs requires safe custody?
20) Oral decongestants are associated with rebound congestion if used for longer than 5 days
21) What are the first line medicines used to treat gastro-oesophageal reflux disease?
22) Alcohol should be avoided by patients whilst taking which of the following drugs?
23) Which one of the following is NOT a reason to immediately stop taking combined hormonal contraceptives?
24) Which of the following anxiolytics can also be used in acute alcohol withdrawal?
25) Repeat dispensing is an enhanced service that is commissioned on a local basis according to the needs of the local population
26) Which one of the following drugs can cause the urine to become dark brown?
27) If a healthcare professional acting in their professional capacity collects a schedule 2 controlled drug, the pharmacist MUST obtain their name and address.
28) Amiodarone has a relatively short half life and a steady state plasma-amiodarone concentration is often achieved quickly
29) Patients treated with which one of the following antipsychotic drugs will require ongoing blood monitoring because of the risk of developing serious blood dyscrasias?
30) Which one of the following NSAIDs is least likely to cause upper gastro-intestinal side effects?
31) When schedule 2 controlled drugs are returned by a patient, an entry should be made in the appropriate section of the controlled drugs register which documents that the drugs have been received for destruction
32) Benzodiazepines are indicated for short term relief of severe anxiety. They should be used for no longer than how many weeks?
33) You can catch shingles from being in direct contact with someone who has shingles
34) Patients should always be advised to rinse their mouth after using which one of the following medicines?
35) If a patient's warfarin dose is too high, their INR will increase
36) Which of the following eye preparations should be recommended to treat streaming eyes associated with hayfever?
37) Requisitions for schedule 2 or 3 controlled drugs must state the purpose for which the medicine is required
38) It is illegal for a pharmacist to provide an emergency supply of tramadol
39) Bisoprolol is one of the most water soluble beta-blockers and is less likely to cause sleep disturbance
40) You receive a prescription for an item listed on the "SLS" but there is no "SLS" endorsement on the prescription. You can amend the prescription by adding the endorsement so that it complies with NHS regulations. The prescription can then be dispensed