1) Controlled drug registers must be kept for 2 years from the date of last entry
2) When dispensing a prescription for a patient, it is important to dispense the same brand of which one of the following drugs?
3) The "blacklist" is a list of medicinal products that cannot be prescribed under the NHS
4) Patients with diverticular disease should be advised to adopt a low fibre diet
5) Which one of the following antibacterial drugs causes a disulfiram-like reaction with alcohol?
6) A patient currently takes bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg once daily and amlodipine 5mg once daily. He is suffering from cold-like symptoms. Which one of the following medicines is NOT recommended?
7) Which of the following medicines is NOT used to treat blood pressure?
8) A patient presents to the pharmacy at 12:15pm. They took their combined hormonal contraceptive at 9:15am the same morning but were sick at 11:30am. The patient should be advised to take another pill as soon as possible
9) Patients with a sore throat should be advised to promptly see their GP for assessment if they take which one of the following medicines?
10) Which of the following drugs has a narrow therapeutic index?
11) Patients who take combined hormonal contraceptives are at increased risk of breast and cervical cancer
12) Which one of the following medicines is most likely to cause constipation?
13) The responsible pharmacist may be absent for up to a maximum period of two hours during the pharmacy's business hours between midnight and midnight
14) Which one of the following drugs should be taken at bedtime?
15) Which of the following is an enzyme inducer?
2. St John’s Wort
A. If 1, 2, and 3 are correct
B. If 1 and 2 only are correct
C. If 2 and 3 only are correct
D. If 1 only is correct
E. If 3 only is correct
16) Which one of the following statements regarding diazepam is correct?
17) Antimuscarinic medicines increase intestinal motility and can cause diarrhoea
18) Which one of the following drugs is an enzyme inducer?
19) Flushing is a common side effect of which one of the following drugs?
20) For malaria prophylaxis, doxycycline should be taken 1-2 days before entering the malaria area, for the duration of the stay and for 4 weeks after returning from the area.
21) Which one of the following reference sources provides the most information about the mechanism of action of medicines?
22) Which one of the following NSAIDs is associated with the greatest risk of gastro-intestinal side effects?
23) At least 50% of all MURs completed by a pharmacy must be undertaken on patients that fall into one of the national target groups
24) Sugar-free medicines do not contain fructose, glucose or sucrose
25) Which one of the following drugs is usually taken once weekly?
26) Which of the following vitamins can cause hypercalcaemia in overdose?
27) You receive a prescription for an item listed on the "SLS" but there is no "SLS" endorsement on the prescription. You can amend the prescription by adding the endorsement so that it complies with NHS regulations. The prescription can then be dispensed
28) Chloramphenicol eye drops are an appropriate treatment option for patients presenting with symptoms of viral conjunctivitis
29) Diabetic ketoacidosis occurs when the body produces too much insulin
30) Development of tolerance frequently occurs as a result of long term use of which one of the following drug classes?
31) With repeat dispensing without controlled drugs, the first prescription must be dispensed within 6 months of the appropriate date with subsequent issues being valid for 12 months from the signed date
32) Which of the following is/are true?
1. The responsible pharmacist may be absent from the pharmacy premises for up to three hours in a working day and still comply with the responsible pharmacist regulations
2. A handwritten copy of the pharmacy record must be kept
3. The responsible pharmacist notice must still be displayed during working hours if the pharmacist leaves the premises for one hour during lunch time
33) Patients should always be advised to rinse their mouth after using which one of the following medicines?
34) It is a legal requirement to establish whether the person collecting prescriptions for schedule 2 controlled drugs is the patient, their rep, or a healthcare professional
35) Which one of the following drugs is a bulk-forming laxative?
36) Chickenpox is infectious from one or two days before the rash develops and until all blisters have scabbed over
37) There is a significant interaction between simvastatin and which of the following medicines?
38) Which of the following medicines is most effective against anaerobic bacteria?
39) Prescriptions for which of the following drugs is/are valid for 6 months?
40) Amiodarone is used for the treatment of which one of the following conditions?